Sunday 19 December 2010

It's Out!

It's out of me.  Finally.  I've finished the first draft.  Everything that's been swilling around in my head is finally out and on the screen in front of me.  It feels good.  As i tapped the last few words, words that i had written down some weeks ago as a fit ending for my lead character, i could feel that i was holding my breath.  I even typed just a little bit slower to make the moment last.  But it was over in a flash.  One minute i was writting the story, the next minute there was no more to be written.  For this draft anyway!

So Amy Swann's story is complete, but is she a complete character?  Is she well rounded?  Is she likeable or dispicable?  Will anyone care about her plight?  Gulp! I don't know yet.  But at least now i've something to read over Christmas.

I'm going to need plenty of paper and ink.  The final word count was ninety-two thousand, three hundred and seventy-two words, which amounts to three hundred and forty-seven pages.  I'm pleased.  I'm really, really pleased to be at the point where i can start to think about editing the story.  There have been niggles at the back of my mind for a while now.  Parts of the story that i want to revisit and reshape so that they fit better; clues that need dropping into the earlier sections of the book; character traits that need developing.

I have a product.  Now i need to make sure that it is the best possible product before i take it to market.  This is where i hope the blog will come into its own and give some valuable insight into the editing process.  I don't know what to expect yet.  I have a plan, but i don't know how it's going to pan out.  But i am looking forward to sharing my experiences with you.

I'm going for a lie down!

No comments:

Post a Comment