Monday 27 December 2010

Merry Christmas

Wow, that was fast! Christmas came, Christmas went.  I cooked, I entertained, I opened presents (great presents - thank you all!), I caught a cold.  Red nose, very festive.  Very runny.  Actually quite sore. 
So, last time out i'd just finished the first draft, and I let slip that the protagonist's name is Amy Swann.  Between then and now i've read the manuscript and look... I'm still here... I'm still blogging.  In short, it wasn't a total disaster.  It has a beginning.  It has a middle.  It has an end.  And it's pacy, really pacy, in fact a bit too pacy perhaps.

As for Amy being a well-rounded character, well, she's probably a bit under weight at the moment.  She could do with eating some of the mountains of chocolate that are piled up next to my desk.  She's got a story to tell, but i think it overshadows her at the moment.  She could be so much more.  Thankfully i get to feed her up now.  Well shortly anyway.

Over the next few days i'm going to re-read each chapter, one at a time, and write a brief synopsis for each one.  By the time i've finished, i'll have a map of the story that shows me where each character is at every point in the story.  Any displacement of character or plot from this point on will be like dropping a stone in a pond (cliche count: 5).  The ripples that spread out from every change will create further changes of their own.  The map of the chapters will give me an at-a-glance guide to what else needs to change further along the line for the story to still make sense.  That's my theory anyway.  We'll see if it works!

So that might take a week.  I'm not really sure yet.  This is my first time.  But i'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment